Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for September 16th, 2012

Team Obama is in cover-ya-ass mode. There were previous attacks and warnings, yet there were no changes in security in and around the embassy. The State Department didn’t even have Marine protection for our Ambassador or diplomats. All Team Obama can do is spin the truth, with the help of the media.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A high-powered assault on the U.S. Consulate in Libya was a spontaneous reaction to an anti-Muslim video, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations said Sunday, not a premeditated assault tied to the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Unnerved by the rapidly escalating raid on Tuesday that claimed the life of the ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, the White House last week launched an investigation into whether terrorist groups had exploited outrage over the video to trigger an attack long in the works.

But Ambassador Susan Rice said evidence gathered so far shows no indications of a premeditated or coordinated strike. She said the deadly protest in Benghazi appeared to be a copycat of demonstrations that had erupted hours earlier outside the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, spurred by a YouTube film mocking the Prophet Muhammad.

Sure, the attackers just knew where to shell the safe-house for embassy employees.

“It seems to have been hijacked, let us say, by some individual clusters of extremists who came with heavier weapons,” Rice said adding that such weaponry is easy to come by in post-revolutionary Libya.

Whether those extremists had ties to al-Qaida or other terrorist groups has yet to be determined, Rice said, noting that the FBI has yet to complete its investigation.

It wouldn’t be the first time that Western works critical of Islam has triggered spontaneous unrest throughout the Middle East, she said, pointing to Salman Rushdie’s novel “Satanic Verses” and the cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad published by a Danish newspaper in 2006.

But Rep. Mike Rogers, the House Intelligence Committee chair, said it was premature to rule out a premeditated attack.

“There’s huge gaps in what we know,” he said.

A former FBI agent, Rogers said there were too many coincidences to conclude the attacks hadn’t been planned in advance. First, there’s the timing: the 11th anniversary of the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil. There’s the use of rockets and military-style coordination — indirect fire mixed with direct fire. Then there’s the daunting fact that protesters managed to repel significant Libyan forces summoned to rescue those at the U.S. outpost.

“There’s other information, classified information we have that just makes you stop for a minute and pause,” Rogers said, without elaborating.

However the President of Libya contradicts Rice, from NPR:

Libya’s president says he believes al-Qaida is behind a deadly attack in eastern Libya that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other U.S. staffers.

In an exclusive interview with NPR in Benghazi, President Mohammed el-Megarif says foreigners infiltrated Libya over the past few months, planned the attack and used Libyans to carry it out.

Wearing the traditional long white robe of men in Libya, Megarif is visibly exhausted when we speak to him at his home in Benghazi. As he describes the ambush on the U.S. consulate that killed Stevens and three other Americans, his eyes water and he drops his head.

“Our friend and friend of all Libyans and all residents of Benghazi and we feel very, very, very,” deep sadness, he says.

A steady stream of people files in and out of the soft-spoken president’s home. This eastern Libyan city was the birthplace of the revolt against late dictator Moammar Gadhafi. Now it is a neglected place, with few security forces on the street and a flood of heavy weaponry.

Megarif says that over the past few months, foreigners took advantage of the security vacuum and flowed into the country from Mali and Algeria. I ask if this attack was over an anti-Muslim film that sparked violent protests across the Muslim world. He shakes his head.

“The idea that this criminal and cowardly act was a spontaneous protest that just spun out of control is completely unfounded and preposterous,” he says. “We firmly believe that this was a precalculated, preplanned attack that was carried out specifically to attack the U.S. Consulate.”

The attackers used the protesters outside the consulate as a cover, he says.

“The intention was there from the beginning, for it to take this ugly barbaric, criminal form,” he says.

Megarif claims evidence shows that some elements of Ansar al-Sharia, an extremist group in eastern Benghazi, were used as tools by foreign citizens with ties to al-Qaida to attack the consulate and threaten Libya’s stability.

Read Full Post »

Not all Muslims are terrorist but every terrorist arrested inside the US has been Muslim.

From the Chicago Tribune:

A Hillside teenager has been charged with trying to detonate a car bomb outside a bar in downtown Chicago, following months of surveillance in which he boasted to undercover federal agents of ignoring reprimands from a mosque leader against plans for terrorism, the U.S. attorney’s office announced.

Adel Daoud, 18,  parked a green Jeep Cherokee in front of the bar Friday night, then tried to detonate a device he believed to be a bomb as he walked away into an alley, court documents allege.

But the bomb, which was inert and had been planted by FBI agents , didn’t explode and Daoud was arrested on the spot, federal authorities said.

Daoud was charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to damage and destroy a building by means of an explosive. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Monday afternoon at the U.S. Dirksen Courthouse.

Authorities did not name the bar that Daoud allegedly targeted.

Daoud acted alone, although he talked of trying to “brainwash” others and at one point allegedly enlisted a partner, who later changed his mind, according to an FBI affidavit.

In one string of emails to an undercover operative filled with American teen slang, Daoud allegedly complained: “man is hard to tell people to be terrorists.”

“Even my sheikh … was talking to me about NOT talking about jihad,” Daoud allegedly wrote in another message.

“lol man I will be the opposite,” Daoud allegedly wrote.

Daoud, a U.S. citizen, had allegedly been sharing information online about killing Americans in a terrorist attack since October 2011.

He was motivated to target U.S. citizens because of what he perceived as American abuses overseas and because he believes the U.S. is at war “with Islam and Muslims,” the affidavit says.

Continue reading>>>

Read Full Post »

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 491 other followers

%d bloggers like this: